Saturday, April 29, 2017

NaPoWriMo 2017, Day 29, a Poem, some Penultimates



Penultimates

Penultimates I've endured, in fact many
Penultimate, next to last spoken word
 
Here are a few for which my answer
should have been a simple yes or no
 
Do you have your keys?
(Correct answer, should have been "NO, thank you".) 
Asked just before I locked the car door from within and slammed it shut after egress
 
Should I reenlist in the Army when a Captain's rank is certain with my credentials? 
(Correct answer, should have been "YES!  Thank you".) 
My maximum eligibility age slipped away the next week
 
Perhaps we should ask for directions? 
(Correct answer, should have been "YES!  Thank you".) 
But I don't give that one until we are totally lost on the road
 
Do you want me to make you some breakfast? 
(Correct answer, should have been "YES!  Thank you".) 
We were newlyweds.   My sweet bride has never asked me that question again.
 
That's enough but you get the idea
 
You suggest one of yours,
I've been there before, twice
_ _ _ _ _

 - Poem Copyright © 2017 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved

 - I'm linked with, at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Penultimatums**: Voyages' End (Almost), http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2017/04/penultimatums-voyages-end-almost.html
  --- - - and
 - also to Day Twenty-nine of NaPoWriMo,
http://www.napowrimo.net/day-twenty-nine-3/
 
Notes:
1)  **Penultimatum -- a penultimate ultimatum or the act of threatening to give an ultimatum (Urban Dictionary)
2)  Pictured, I'd be totally lost without a tour (Iceland) director's help
.

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Saturday, April 29, 2017 12:20:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice work, Jimbo. Funny how clear things become after the fact, eh?

 
At Saturday, April 29, 2017 12:59:00 PM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

As for me, I'm partial to getting lost.

 
At Saturday, April 29, 2017 1:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You remind us that the penultimate is also the wailting wall of coulda shoulda woulda. If only!

 
At Saturday, April 29, 2017 2:40:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

I think we all have a couple of those moments when the roads are dividing... great moments.

 
At Saturday, April 29, 2017 5:09:00 PM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is absolutely fantastic! Love your take on the prompt, Jim ❤️

 
At Saturday, April 29, 2017 7:09:00 PM, Blogger grapeling said...

oooops ~

 
At Saturday, April 29, 2017 7:51:00 PM, Blogger Outlawyer said...

Ha. Oh dear. I'm sorry about all of them, but maybe something bad would have happened in the army, so, and the wife seems to be still with you--maybe she would have gotten tired of making the breakfasts! Ha. Take care, and thanks for the laughter and sweetness of your poems and your kindness towards mine. k.

 
At Saturday, April 29, 2017 11:43:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Quite funny -

 
At Sunday, April 30, 2017 12:05:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Fun to read, if not to experience. (What IS it about men and not asking directions?) I think we've all locked the car keys in the vehicle at least once.

 
At Sunday, April 30, 2017 4:58:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Oh yes, too often we are off with the right word. This made me smile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home