Monday, April 10, 2017

NaPoWriMo 2017, Day 10 -- A poem from my sketch/a portrait poem

Brother Ray 

I knew Brother Ray from way back when
1976 we met at church
His church since he had retired was Baptist
 
My first knowledge of Brother Ray, after 
the sermon the pastor had asked him to
give the closing prayer.  I remember that 
 
He prayed but no way could I understand
then, not a word he uttered.  Some may have 
I am sure that his God did understand
 
Parkinson's Disease was taking its toll
and Brother Ray trembled with every move
While he spoke his voice was trembling as well
 
Brother Ray claimed that each family or
church member had been visited by him
He didn't drive so someone else took him
 
Then one day his driving partner retired
and moved away.  There wasn't another
who stepped up to drive so I volunteered
 
We visited together for fourteen years 
After time I realized that I could 
understand every word he'd say.  Wonders
 
People asked us to come, they like his tales We stopped after he fell and broke his hip
Two more years, at age 99 he died
 
(My favorite tale was of his hunting skill
Every year he'd kill his deer though he shook
We were quite a pair, every Monday night)
_ _ _ _ _

Photos and Poem Copyright © 2017 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved


 - I'm linked with Margaret at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Poem Sketching, http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2017/04/poem-sketching.html

 - - - and   
 - to Day Ten of NaPoWriMo, http://www.napowrimo.net/day-ten-5/


 - Margaret's instructions were, "Today's challenge is for you to create and use a word list (and from it write).

 - Over at NaPoWriMo the instructions were, "Today, I’d like to challenge you to write a poem that is a portrait of someone important to you."
 - I tried to satisfy both.
 

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Monday, April 10, 2017 10:37:00 PM, Blogger  said...

I love this story ... especially how you came to understand him over time, just by spending more time with him. I'm sure he is with you still, his spirit and his words.

 
At Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:03:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

What a wonderful story and friendship.

 
At Friday, April 14, 2017 11:38:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Wonderful! This is obviously a cherished memory and 14 years! Wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home