Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Weekly Scribblings - They're Keepers

 

   These shoes . . . 
    (an ode to these shoes

"These boots are made for walkin'" 
An old country western song 
"... gonna walk all over you"
Hush Puppy shoes made to walk  
 
Walk you did, these shoes of mine 
Dusty trails and dusty roads 
Paths in Israel, Jesus walked 
Precious now, these shoes of mine 

I don't wear you anymore 
Nor wipe road dust from your soles 
The paths of Jesus you've crossed  
So many times that summer 

Revered you sit on my shelf  
Where you've been my mind returns  

 - - - 

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2021, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked to Magaly at The Weekly Scribblings #91  for the prompt below at https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/2021/10/weekly-scribblings-91-personal-symbols.html 

 - Magaly asked us to "write poetry or prose inspired by personal symbols. Not a symbol that holds the same meaning for everyone, but something special to you."
 - I have not worn these shoes since we returned from our Holy Land Tour in 1980.  They sit on the top shelf of my closet for me to see up there and reflect.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 12, 2021 11:19:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, I remember Hush Puppies very fondly. Though mine never walked to such far-flung places as yours.

 
At Wednesday, October 13, 2021 3:24:00 AM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

A know the song. And those are fine looking boots
Happy Wednesday Jim

Much💜love

 
At Wednesday, October 13, 2021 7:05:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

I have some fond connections to shoes I've worn on certain trips too. The boots I wore to the original Women's March in DC come to mind.

 
At Wednesday, October 13, 2021 11:20:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

This is wonderful, Jim. I feel the love and reverence you direct at those choose. There is something powerful about symbols we hold dear because of love and important events, isn't it? I, for instance, keep the dress I was wearing the day I met my Piano Man in a special place.

 
At Wednesday, October 13, 2021 5:05:00 PM, Blogger indybev said...

What a moving poem, Jim. To keep the shoes that walked where Jesus trod is a special thing.

 
At Wednesday, October 13, 2021 7:38:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Jim, your poem is thought-provoking .... Hush Puppies in the 50s OH YES!!!

 
At Wednesday, October 13, 2021 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

The song was in the 50's, old when we went in 1980, wearing my Hush Puppies..
..

 
At Thursday, October 14, 2021 6:26:00 AM, Blogger rallentanda said...

Well if you are thinking of visiting the outback dont bring those.
Jesus has never walked these tracks but a lot of deadly snakes have.:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home