Thursday, November 29, 2018

Man's Loss -- a "Won't Come Back" Flash Poem.

 
Aging or finances the start
Sad day for a fellow I'll tell
Painful for him lasts for his life

A man loses his pickup truck
Loses a part of his manhood
A part of him it won't come back

Remembers like blood on the sheets
When youth departs you're an adult
Not all bad but it won't come back

Dogs, spouses, parents, kids and friends
Die or go away, miss them so
Visit their graves, view their pictures

Sense their presence come back, sort of
Man's machine, part toy, won't come back
 _ _ _ _

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2010 and 2018  All Rights Reserved (the picture was previously posted on my blog of May 12, 2010, at http://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/2010/05/one-of-my-favorite-cars-midweek-blues.html.)   - (I drove a 1949 Black Ford Pickup to high school, the first two years I rode my horse, Minnie.  The one pictured was on my Autumn 2009 NAPA Auto Parts calendar.)

 - I'm with Toni Spencer in the Imaginary Garden at http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2018/11/mono-no-aware.html?m=1
 - Flash poems have fewer words than the norm, typically 55, 144, here 150 maximum, when writing with a group.  Toni's words, " I want you to write about the changes and the sadness around those changes... be brief - no more than 150 words.  Try to write in the Japanese style of brevity and minimal description."  I wrote 92 words.

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:08:00 PM, Blogger tonispencer said...

You mos def hit the mono no aware on the head Jim. What is gone cannot come back. Thank you for posting to my prompt.

 
At Thursday, November 29, 2018 5:26:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I can see that for a man losing his truck does mark a transition away from life as it once was. I loved this, Jim. I know so well the feelings, looking at the photos of all those who have either passed on or moved on...........sigh.

 
At Thursday, November 29, 2018 5:50:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Ah yes, what a symbol of time (and youth) inevitably passing.

 
At Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:45:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

~~~ suddenly I'm feeling quite old. And I never had a truck to lose.

 
At Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:09:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

My van was a bit like that... all my kids and I together, all the errands, after school lessons, vacations. I think I had a van for 20 plus years... It was a turning point for this Mom... I remember looking at it as I drove away in my new car...

 
At Friday, November 30, 2018 4:41:00 AM, Blogger Marian said...

Yes, yes-- I get it. Sigh.

 
At Friday, November 30, 2018 11:42:00 AM, Blogger Yvonne Osborne said...

Like your use of repetition.Regrets laced with hope.

 
At Friday, November 30, 2018 1:28:00 PM, Blogger Millie said...

I am certainly at an age that I can relate to this. All those wonderful memories do leave me feeling wistful at times; although, I'm more likely to miss my animals than a vehicle.

 
At Friday, November 30, 2018 7:11:00 PM, Blogger Old Egg said...

I'm glad my first car won't come back as the sun roof leaked like a sieve! As for the girls; they all say "Hi" on Facebook so that gives me some satisfaction!

 
At Saturday, December 01, 2018 11:07:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

Ha... I am happy not to be emotionally connected to machines... but there might be other things (memories) that are tied to the pickup...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home