Wednesday, October 09, 2013

"Lady on the Shelf -- Point of View"

.
Lady on the Shelf

I am in love.

I'm in love with My Lady, a lady fine.

I too am a lady. I'll have a lovely home,
much better than the sweatshop, a smelly place
with smelly workers, where I was born.

But for now my home is where I sit,
on a pretty glass shelf. And with air
conditioning it isn't all that bad.   

You see, I am a Lady Bug.
A bright and lovely orange and black spotted
Lady Bug. Not your ordinary kind of lady bug,
I am special. I am for sale now, I cost
a whopping 79 Euros. Costing so much,
for sure I will find a good home. 

I will be with the fine lady there.
She will be 'My Lady.'  My future home will be
in that elegant lady's home, tucked in a drawer.
 
Or better for me and My Lady, I will be on
her special shelf with all of the good smelling things
that fine ladies can have. I am a perfume bottle
in the shape of a Lady Bug, and filled with
one of the finest scents that money can buy.

I am hoping that My Lady will travel often.
That should happen to me since the shelf
I'm on now is at the airport in Dubrovnik, Croatia.
Many, many travelers and business people come
through here.  They have money to spend.

When she travels,
My Lady will place me gently in her purse.
My Lady will use me, that was why I was born.
She will tenderly draw some of my innards
to her finger and gently apply them to her ear.
Behind her ears and on her shoulders,
I will make her smell like Heaven
to those who come near.

After I am empty or grown so very old,
My Lady will no longer use me for perfume.
I would hope that our relationship would have grown so dear
that she will have me rest forever on her vanity.
Imagine me, an empty bottle,
displayed then so prominently.
 
Much better fare than for my cousins who
will be discarded, thrown down
when their usefulness is gone.

I love My Lady already, sight unseen. She is so fine.
.
.
 
Picture and Poem Copyright © 2013 Jimmiehov.
All Rights Reserved

Written today for "Wednesdays with Peggy" at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads.  The theme today is "point of view."  Please read Peggy's instructions:

......"Point of view and place are both important elements of poetry and story telling. This time take the point of view of an animal -- let's stretch a bit and make it NOT a dog or a cat. You can even choose an imaginary or mythical animal."
.....I stretched that a bit with my bug, a Lady Bug, a Fine Lady Bug.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 09, 2013 3:21:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is so whimsical and delightful, Jim! I love it!

 
At Wednesday, October 09, 2013 4:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very imaginative - I love it and I love that bottle!

 
At Wednesday, October 09, 2013 5:17:00 PM, Blogger Kathryn Dyche said...

Nicely done Jim, love how you did both an animal and a bottle at the same time.

 
At Wednesday, October 09, 2013 5:38:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Well, done Jim. Such a delightful looking perfume bottle. I don't think I could throw it out. Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement during my time of healing.

 
At Wednesday, October 09, 2013 6:55:00 PM, Blogger L. Edgar Otto said...

What is poetry but flower language,,, and this a fine perfume.

 
At Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:52:00 PM, Blogger Kay L. Davies said...

What fun, Jim, "animating" a perfume bottle to speak as an insect. Good stuff.
The garden variety lady-bug is sold, too, by the hundreds, because she eats those awful white mite things that destroy leaves.
K

 
At Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:01:00 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Wonderfullt creative!! What a surprise this one is and so fun to read. Thanks for posting.

 
At Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:17:00 PM, Blogger Vandana Sharma said...

It is a cute poem:)

 
At Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:58:00 AM, Blogger Grace said...

Delightful lady bug story ~ I want to keep them too ~ Thanks for sharing ~

 
At Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:09:00 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

"beautiful clutter".. ingenious marketing!

 
At Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a clever choice for the prompt! I do hope the lady keeps her new little lady bug forever.

 
At Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:33:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like how she (the lady bug perfume) has so much hope! she's also high maintenance like her design which is very cool.

 
At Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:53:00 PM, Blogger audrey` said...

Hello Dr & Mrs Jim :)

 
At Friday, October 11, 2013 1:32:00 PM, Blogger humbird said...

I love how you, Jim gradually introduced 'Lady Bug' make us guessing ...very gracious poem! Fun! Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home