Monday, September 23, 2013

.
Driving There;
a short epic poem
[click on pictures for large size]
Driving to Key West having fun
Open car is wanting to run

Soon will be dark, should call the room
Let them know you'll be coming soon

Homestead, Key Largo, Marathon,
You're glad you'd gotten up at dawn

Alligators traipsing, O Gosh
Sugarloaf Key, the road awash

You slowed to a crawl, wet blacktop,
Rain pouring, up with the rag top
 
No more speed now, just hold the road
Traveling light, not with heavy load
 
Rain please stop, seventeen more miles
Sing now, pray to God, love these trials
 
Look. Your glass. Who is following?
Been there for miles, you unknowing
 
Don't be afraid, it's alright dear,
Plate says "Angel"--no need for tears

- - -
Pictures and Poem Copyright © 2013 Jimmiehov. All Rights Reserved

Shared and listed with Real Toads, Open Link Monday.

From "Tuesday Two-Shoes" the September 24th writing prompt words to choose are Distraction and/orTears. Josie Said, "Have Fun!" (link)

Note: I have wanted to Go to Key West ever since I knew it was there.  First I wanted to ride my motorcycle but now driving my Mustang convertible to there would be fine.  Or even one day from a Disney cruise ship leaving Galveston.  I have been to all 50 states but never to Key West.  We did start there one day but I turned around for worrying about not getting back in time to meet a deadline in Miami later that afternoon. 

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

At Monday, September 23, 2013 9:44:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Cool poem..........I encourage you to go to Key West! It sounds like it isnt too far.

 
At Monday, September 23, 2013 11:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, ever since seeing Key Largo with Humphrey Bogart, I've wanted to visit the Keys. I understand your trepidation on the road, what with the weather and all, but the happy end, with an Angel "watching your back," made me smile. Thanks for linking at OLM! Amy

 
At Monday, September 23, 2013 11:25:00 PM, Blogger Vandana Sharma said...

I like the rhyming very much

 
At Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:41:00 AM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

Sounds like a fun road trip! Sometimes it's all about the journey, being on the move instead of standing still.

 
At Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:35:00 AM, Blogger Sandee said...

Sounds like a good road trip to me. If you've an Angel then it's a good road trip.

Have a terrific day. ☺

 
At Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! We have never visited the Keys, but Hubby has mentioned wanting to go. A trip to the Keys would most definitely be epic...and I really enjoyed the epic feel of the drive in your poem.

 
At Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:25:00 PM, Blogger Mary Hill said...

I used to live in Florida, but never made it to the Keys. Wish I had now. :)

 
At Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:13:00 AM, Blogger jabblog said...

Oh, those long, seemingly never-ending journeys/days - what a relief to reach the end safely.

 
At Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:49:00 PM, Blogger JosephAlsarraf said...

Great poem! Key West is a great place, I've been there twice on a cruise. I'm sorry you've never been there. I hope you get to go someday. : )

 
At Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:33:00 AM, Blogger Abelle | The Wows! And Oops! Of Life said...

A nice poem with great pics that come with it ;o)

 
At Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:13:00 PM, Blogger Josie Two Shoes said...

This was the coolest, Jim! I think we all wanted to be out there cruising top-down with you. Loved the ending, it made me smile! Thanks for a great TST poem!

 
At Friday, October 11, 2013 12:00:00 AM, Blogger audrey` said...

Very good, Dr Jim :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home