Saturday, April 02, 2022

Sunday Muse - Memories - NaPoWriMo 2022 Day Three


An old diner / along the road
It brings memories / of my youth 
Meals on weekends / the food was good 
Minor item / there's so much more 

More to tell so here goes / the diner in my mind sat beside the sidewalk / had parking in the front / behind was a lush green lawn belonging to the "Y"

The YWCA is / may still be there today / I dated her / she worked where I was but a different floor / she made watches I made proximity fuses for the Navy torpedoes / Elgin National Watch factory 

She was my first Steady / we both were young / not twenty-one / teens I think / she liked my hot rod Ford / we'd ride and ride and then park and park in the dark / we'd get hot and bothered / touchy too / but we never disobeyed / disobeyed our mothers not 

She had to be in the Y by eleven / she always was / we didn't drink or do drugs / real nice kids / but after I took her home I'd cruise some more / sometimes party with the boys / 

or race my Ford out on the Interstate not yet opened / I'd built up the engine myself / my Ford would outrun the Chevys 

then one day her old boy friend came home from the wars / my girl was not my girl anymore / she left town quit her job / didn't tell me goodbye / I never saw her again 

don't regret our time together / well over a year 

I never minded that diner again 
But still it's IN my mind / won't go away 
 _ _ _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2022, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Carrie at the Sunday Muse #205 for the Prompt Photo at 
 - I have linked this write  with NaPoWriMo 2022 at 
.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Saturday, April 02, 2022 8:37:00 PM, Blogger qbit said...

Seems like she was the proximity fuse!

 
At Sunday, April 03, 2022 5:50:00 AM, Blogger David Bogomolny said...

well - that's not nice of her, Jim - to leave without saying goodbye! Hmph!

This was fun to read!

Sincerely,
David [ben Alexander]
http://skepticskaddish.com/

 
At Sunday, April 03, 2022 9:28:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

A ‘Jim’ story ~~ love them!

 
At Sunday, April 03, 2022 4:45:00 PM, Blogger Carrie Burtt said...

It wasn't meant to be. Now you have the wonderful Mrs.Jim and I am sure you wouldn't have it any other way

 
At Sunday, April 03, 2022 8:40:00 PM, Blogger ms_lili said...

Jim, I truly enjoyed your trip down memory lane. Things probably worked out for the best...

 
At Sunday, April 03, 2022 9:17:00 PM, Blogger . said...

Experiences like that will never go away.....

 
At Monday, April 04, 2022 4:54:00 AM, Blogger Marion Horton said...

It's lovely, Jim, that this is a memory with no regrets.

 
At Wednesday, April 06, 2022 7:45:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Great story, Jim!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home