"The first known accounts of spontaneous human combustion (SHC) date all the way back to 1641, the phenomenon gained wider exposure in the 19th century after popular author Charles Dickens used it to kill off one of the characters in his novel “Bleak House.” When critics accused Dickens of legitimizing something that didn’t exist, he pointed to research showing 30 historical cases." (more)
Does it Really Not Exist?
Accounts in his newspaper
were saying
Folks burning right and left
there on the plain
Cities too, large and small,
counting them up
Three hundred seventy
Those were the death tallies many more had burns
Spontaneous Human Combustion
was blamed
Burns starting on the back
scorching behind
Not possible he thought
loosened his tie
Feeling hot behind twas
such a cold day
Scratched his itching back
nails came back scorched
Looked behind, jumped away
hell was burning
He'd started the fire
now he believed
_ _ _
- I am linked with Carrie for the picture prompt, The Sunday Muse #249
- I have read the Dicken's book, "Bleak House", it is very long. That is where I learned of Spontaneous Human Combustion.
..
Interesting topic on which to create this poem. Not sure it exists but, interesting to ponder. Truedessa
ReplyDeleteI had not heard the term before. But i have seen the phenomenon in those Netflix Chinese fantasies, i watch these days. I might have seen it too in my Star Wars viewings. Its interesting to me that you chose that as a theme for your poem.
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by my blog.
Much 💜 love
An interesting concept SHC - and I suppose, as the saying goes, "there are more things in heaven Horatio ...."
ReplyDeleteAt any rate, I like the direction you've taken with your inspiration. The feeling of the piece has a "sci-fi" feel to it - one of those, hey, this might become "normal" as we continue walking into the future "realities"
Definitely a subject that is mysterious and strange. I am not sure I believe it happens, but I did enjoy your poem Jim. Have a great week my friend!
ReplyDeleteWith everything going on these days .. war in Ukraine, China knocking on our door, border kidnappings, terror in the skies ... seems like you got the 'we are burning/hell' right.
ReplyDelete