Saturday, December 15, 2018

My grandfather and I ~~ a Prose Poem

Favorite Grandchild

Doesn't every lass or lad think of being grandma or grandpa's favorite?  Well, I did. And so too probably did my sister and my seven cousins on Dad's side of our family. Whenever I had Grandpa alone I KNEW that I had an inside track with him.  Like the born-again KNOWS he's going to Heaven.  Tell you a couple or three.

First one I remember was when my sister was born, Grandpa came and got me with his pickup truck. He had his stud horse in the back and we would make some rounds that morning.  I really didn't appreciate him leaving me alone while he and the horse walked away.  My first second encounter with the birds and the bees, I was five.

After that alone time with Grandpa I don't remember him much in anything special.   He was always there and I took him for granted.  There was the time he took a toy away from my younger cousin for being selfish by not sharing it with me. "J" had two rather large  cast iron toy Yellow Taxi Cabs, replicas of about 1929 cabs. Grandpa then gave it to me, it became my favorite toy.  Until Dad accidentally backed over it with his tractor.

Grandpa once told my father to have my eyes tested as I was missing too many cockleburs when we were weeding the corn with hoes. My eyes were fine. Grandpa had a couple rows, he rode his horse while we others walked.  Another time in one of our numerous rides Grandpa promised me his 1955 Ford car when he died. I remembered that,  Grandpa didn't.

Grandpa died while I was away in the Army, I was in Texas and didn't go up to Nebraska for his funeral.  If I could leave loving memories with my Grands like Grandpa did for me, this life would probably be worth living twice as much.

Note:  Jim's offspring are five kids, six grandchildren, four great grandkids, and one great-great grandchild. Sixteen so far.
 _ _ _ _

 - Poem copyright, Jimmiehov 2018, All Rights Reserved
 - I'm linked with Msgaly Guerrero in the Imaginary Garden at http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2018/12/weekend-mini-challenge-life-is-ripe.html?m=1
 - Magaly encouraged us to write in 131 words or less in prose form of a situation in the past, in our early life, one that has influenced our lives in the present.  I have greatly exceeded her ideal length, a mini-poem.  And there's way too much to get it edited down much--mine has 319 words without the 18 word Note.

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Saturday, December 15, 2018 7:04:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

My father rented a 120 acre farm in Eastern Nebraska by share cropping it from my grandfather. I was born in the living room there as was my sister.
Grandpa was very active in the farm activities as a helper and owner. He owned three farms totaling about 500 acres. Three sons each farmed one of the farms, the oldest of the four sons bought his own farm a few miles away.
My grandma was a school teacher until she married Grandpa. She died a few years before Grandpa. In 2007 my sister and I sold the farm we lived on, Dad had inherited it.
..

 
At Saturday, December 15, 2018 8:07:00 PM, Blogger tonispencer said...

I was the only grandchild so by default I was the favorite of both my grandparents

 
At Saturday, December 15, 2018 8:46:00 PM, Blogger robkistner said...

I was adopted and was never really embraced by my father's parents, and my mother's mother lived with us... but she was a paranoid schizophrenic who should have been institutionalized - but in those days that was seldom done. So I had no grandparents relationship, so no fond memories. But, after waiting 66 years, I finally became a grandfather to a now 5-year-old grandson... and I kick butt as a PawPaw, and dearly LOVE every minute of it!!

 
At Saturday, December 15, 2018 11:26:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

Wanting to help someone make and hold on to happy memories is a wonderful things to want.

 
At Sunday, December 16, 2018 3:29:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

I think you are right to ask that question, Jim. I know I did; after living with them until I was seven and believing I was the only one, there were suddenly two sisters who stole their attention.
I loved reading your memories of your grandpa.

 
At Sunday, December 16, 2018 9:19:00 AM, Blogger Marian said...

How wonderful is this? I too knew I was my grandpa's favorite. I thought he would leave me his car (a 1968 VW Beetle that I coveted) but he left it to my younger cousins because they were boys. Hmmph. :)

 
At Sunday, December 16, 2018 10:31:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

I would have loved to feel special... I think grandma had ways of feeling special, but that's more what you expect. My grandfather scared me a bit, he had barely no voice because he had lost it screaming in rage (so I've been told)... but frankly he only slapped me once that I remember.

 
At Sunday, December 16, 2018 11:53:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

Such a poignant share, Jim💞 I wish I could have had a little more time with my grandfather (mother's father) sigh ... he too was/is a Poet!😊

 
At Sunday, December 16, 2018 1:03:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this, Jim. And I love that you have many grands and great-grands to warm your days. I am sure they think the world of you.

 
At Monday, December 17, 2018 8:44:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

GOOD Grandparents are what rounds out a family - makes it whole. LOVE these memories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home