Thursday, September 29, 2022

Kissing and Voting - a Poem for Friday Writings


Apple Decides; Tells; 
or what does it?

Twist the apple stem 
she loves me she loves me not 
(repeat) She loves me ... 
When the stem breaks we will know 

I'm tired of this game 
I've been tired since the first grade 
Led to storm cellar 
Show me yours I'll show you mine 

Strict Republicans 
and Liberal Democrats 
We vote, ballots filled 
When count is in then we'll know 

Majority wins 
most of times but not always 
 _ _ _ 

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2022, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Magaly at the Friday Writings #46 
 - Magaly has invited us to write one piece of poetry or prose from two different points of view. 
 - Note:  With our, U.S.,  electoral college system of voting the college doesn't always vote the same as the popular majority voters. 
 - This has happened five times: 
John Quincy Adams (1824);
Rutherford B. Hayes;  (1876);  
Benjamin Harrison ; (1888); 
George W. Bush (2016; and 
Donald Trump (2020) 
..

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Thursday, September 29, 2022 11:37:00 PM, Anonymous Rajani said...

I struggle to understand, from this distance, how that system of voting works. As you point out, the majority doesn't always win...

 
At Friday, September 30, 2022 12:47:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

From a distance of my own (just in a different direction) that system is as mysterious to me as it is to Rajani!
Interesting shifts of viewpoint through the poem.

 
At Friday, September 30, 2022 3:05:00 AM, Blogger rallentanda said...

If the majority vote does not win....it seems to me that it is fairly pointless in bothering with it at all.

 
At Friday, September 30, 2022 4:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

from Jim at 4:59 AM -
Note:  With our, U.S.,  electoral college system of voting the college doesn't always vote the same as the popular majority voters. 
 - This has happened five times: 
John Quincy Adams (1824)
Rutherford B. Hayes;  (1876);  
Benjamin Harrison ; (1888); 
George W. Bush (2016; and 
Donald Trump (2020) 
[ https://www.history.com/.amp/news/presidents-electoral-college-popular-vote ] 
..

 
At Friday, September 30, 2022 6:32:00 AM, Blogger Ron. said...

Every nobody deserves election, I think...

 
At Friday, September 30, 2022 11:20:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

The struggle (and the frustration) is certainly real. Sigh.

 
At Saturday, October 01, 2022 1:18:00 PM, Anonymous JadeLi said...

Jim, I do think the political process at every level has been manipulated to keep the corporatocracy in place. I cringe to think of what's on the horizon with the next presidential election...

 
At Sunday, October 02, 2022 8:44:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I like that you included the facts about the five times the popular vote winner lost. When I was young we twisted the apple stem by alphabet. When it broke, that was the first letter of our future boyfriend's name! Of course, we'd really yank it when we twisted by our crush's initial! Problem for me was my crush's name started with A!

 
At Sunday, October 02, 2022 9:34:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Started with "A" and could never twist another 26 turns to get back. Higher letter guys didn't stand a chance either.
..

 
At Thursday, October 06, 2022 2:27:00 AM, Blogger Priscilla King said...

We snapped apple stems the way Lisa describes. It wasn't really divination; it was a way to drop a hint to the person you wanted to ask you for a date. (Some of the guys were starting to do that too.)

Luckily I didn't have a crush on an A, but there were loopholes for those who did. You could claim the initial of either the first name or the last name. If the stem insisted on breaking on the wrong letter you could say you must have been thinking you "wanted to be with" some relative, or even a project you were working on.

Maybe some girls never learned the trick of getting all the way to W, but I did. J would have been easy.

 
At Saturday, October 08, 2022 6:47:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Something terribly wrong with our voting system. Good one, Jim!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home