Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Fun with Food - a Foodie Poem for dVerse, "Poetics: Spicing it Up"

We like it, our kitchen:  I took this from the living room bar looking into the kitchen.
It is a kitchen-in-round; start from the left is a wide opening into the living room; 
next is a hall into the dining room or the garage; right is a door into the guest room 
and bath; and last a wide opening into the breakfast room.  That room sees into the 
living room, over a low counter sees into the kitchen.  The back windows look out
into the back yard, to the left of the windows is a door to the back porch.    


This week for writing topic Merill has "chosen twenty-five herbs, spices, flavors, and spice combinations—A to Z. Pick at least three for your poem. Use more if you so desire. You may also choose one of the words or phrases for your title."
    Her list:
Aleppo Pepper         Arizona         Dreaming Basil         Cinnamon         Coriander 
Cumin                     Dill               Fennel seeds            Garam Masala   Ginger 
Krakow Nights         Lemongrass   Mulling spices           Mural of flavor  Mustard Seeds 
Nutmeg                   Paprika         Saffron                     Sea salt            Sesame Seeds   
Sunny Paris             Thyme           Tuscan Sunset           Vanilla              Zatar "

        
        Cooking with Spice;  
                    mulling spices

Sunny Paris is the place to have the best Chocolate, 
the next best would be my home 
where our nice daughter brought us 
some lemon-flavored mini cupcakes 
from her favorite French Bakery. 
Trouble is I cannot taste lemon flavor; 
my taster has gone caput after 
my March 2022 bout with COVID. 
So I spread mine with Chocolate Hazelnut Spread. 
That is one item, one flavor, that I can still taste 

I married a Cajun girl from Louisiana 
she loves Cajun cooking, lightly flavored hot.  
Red beans and rice, seafood gumbo, 
Étouffée, shrimp poboys, and all the like.  
She makes those 
but hasn't for the last three or so years.  
I am not sure of the Aleppo Pepper spice on my list, 
in the stores I'll spend time mulling spices 
(I haven't seen it on our Texas grocery 
store's shelves--must ask), 
I use Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning powder
That's when what I've bought isn't seasoned hot

Today I made stuffed bell peppers, stuffed with boudin. 
My boudin came ready spiced 
and is spiced just a little heavier than she likes. 
But I do 
*Read the footnote, I'll have my recipe there. 
It's easy, quick and easy.
Quick and easy is the way I like

Another specialty of mine is meatballs and spaghetti, 
it too is quick and easy. 
All out of a jar, package, or freezer or fridge. 
It's every bit as good as you find 
under the Tuscan Sunet
How do I know? Oh, I've been there, done that, 
for about a month's of my two months' time in Italy. 
Anyway, I serve it 
covered lightly, the meat balls for sure 
with Italian shredded cheese. 

I cook others, my specialties are 
hot dogs with sauerkraut or corn dogs, 
also Maruchan Instant Lunch Soup.  
I embellish the latter with more cooked shrimp 
or Italian meat balls 
and some creole seasoning.  
My Mrs. doesn't like the last 
probably she had too many in college her dorms  

We call it cooking if 
it isn't just stick it in the microwave 
or defrost it, 
but yes if more preparation besides the wave 
or heating the oven 
or following a recipe cooking 

    *Note:  My Recipe for Quick and Easy Stuffed Peppers:

Tell about one of your experiences with peppers.  I like and use my recipe for "Quick and Easy Stuffed Bell Peppers."  To make it faster have all your ingredients out; I use hot water from my Keurig machine as it is almost ready to boil.

Use precooked boudin, it consists of Cajun spiced sausage and rice, perfect for stuffing precooked (boiled) cut in halves Green Pepper. One link will make two stuffed half bell peppers, a package of Cajun Boudin generally comes with two or more links. 
Boil the cut peppers, stuff the peppers, and bake in the oven, probably about 350 degrees until nice and hot, I do seven to ten minutes. (If you've just defrosted the boudin and softened the peppers they will be somewhat warmish already>)
You can garnish the top with bread crumbs or even put ketchup on the tops.  Yum Yum.

  _ _ _ 

 - My Writing is Copyright, Jimmiehov 2022, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with dVerse where MerillDSmith, her other work here, has assigned for our Poetry/Writing using any form Challenge above, see  
 - I chose prose form, possibly prose poetry, I've gotten to write more that way lately 
 - Click here to read other's work with the spicey words 


 ... 

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 21, 2022 4:27:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

You really went to town on this one, Jim, although I would argue that Belgium makes the best chocolate! Although Nutella Chocolate Hazelnut Spread is sublime. I’ve never eaten seafood gumbo, but you make is sound divine. As much as I enjoy stuffed bell peppers, they do not like me, especially the red and green ones. I can just about get on with yellow or orange.

 
At Wednesday, September 21, 2022 4:47:00 AM, Blogger Merril D. Smith said...

Thank you for sharing your kitchen and what you enjoy cooking and eating, Jim! I'm sorry to hear about that your sense of taste went and has not returned. I hope it returns eventually. Thank you for joining in!

 
At Wednesday, September 21, 2022 11:53:00 AM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

You certainly enjoyed this prompt Jim. I would not try the bell pepper recioe because i stopped eating them a long time ago after i realized they gavre me heartburn

Much💛love

 
At Wednesday, September 21, 2022 6:56:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Beginning to think a lot of us have problems with red and green peppers. I know I do. Are you absolutely certain your meatballs and spaghetti rival those in Tuscany? I have been there and wager the Italian version surpasses what you and I can come up with here in the US of A. Cheers!

 
At Wednesday, September 21, 2022 7:51:00 PM, Blogger Mish said...

What a smorgasbord of flavours, Jim. It made me hungry! I hope your taster cooperates soon.

 
At Thursday, September 22, 2022 9:29:00 PM, Anonymous JadeLi said...

Sounds like cooking is one of your passions. Or is it eating? Maybe some of both? Delicious writing, Jim!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home