Saturday, November 13, 2021

Sunday Muse - My Thing


I was born of a flapper mom 

grew up in airy rumble seats 
and behind stage curtains sagging 
candy whiskey milk were my foods 
 
candy fed my sweetness the day 
whiskey kept me wild every night 
mama said milk was good for bones 

mama married cute stage hand young 
I was their tagalong kid but 
they split never saw him again 

growing kid I didn't know where 
and really that why would I care 
back of my mind don't marry young 

mom my idol wished I were her 
bought a bible  for me to read 
just didn't want to marry young 

didn't do that now on the stage 
my kid she eats chicken nuggets 
with her milk while I'm on the stage 

new orleans bourbon street perform 
"preacher lady from bowery" 

 - - - 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2021, All Rights Reserved 
 - - - Photo prompt from Shay,  a.k.a. Fireblossom, at Sunday Muse #186, http://thesundaymuse.blogspot.com/2021/11/sunday-muse-186-illusion.html?m=1 , read about this lady, a Louise Brooks look alike, there.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At Saturday, November 13, 2021 3:02:00 PM, Blogger  said...

This is awesome. I love reading about the flapper era.

My favorites:
“grew up in airy rumble seats”
“candy whiskey milk”
“mom my idol / bought a bible”
the last couplet

 
At Saturday, November 13, 2021 3:55:00 PM, Blogger Fireblossom said...

candy whiskey milk! Those are some food groups.

 
At Saturday, November 13, 2021 4:14:00 PM, Blogger Carrie Van Horn said...

I really enjoyed this poem Jim!! Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

 
At Saturday, November 13, 2021 9:50:00 PM, Blogger phillip woodruff (jalopy dreams) said...

jim! this is excellent, i love the phrasing, the tone and tempo. i can;t sigle any lines out to quote, they're all great, really well done, love this!

 
At Saturday, November 13, 2021 10:10:00 PM, Blogger Sunita said...

A stream of consciousness moves through the poem. How one wants the other not to make the same mistake. A diaspora of generation!
Great poem, Jim.

 
At Sunday, November 14, 2021 7:04:00 AM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Very interesting, the way the thoughts stream along you took us into your head.
Happy Sunday

Much💛love

 
At Sunday, November 14, 2021 7:37:00 AM, Blogger C. Sandlin said...

Agree that this has a good sense of an itinerant life with an audience before and behind.

 
At Sunday, November 14, 2021 9:51:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Jim, this is fascinating and totally entertaining!! Cheers.

 
At Sunday, November 14, 2021 11:23:00 AM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I can well imagine the backstage life of the child of a flapper mom. Well done, Jim.

 
At Sunday, November 14, 2021 2:51:00 PM, Blogger qbit said...

"candy whiskey milk were my foods" great line!

 
At Friday, November 19, 2021 7:49:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Wonderful, Jim! The rhythm is excellent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home