Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Weekly Scribblings - What if's today - Do it again?

This will be my last "Weekly Scribblings" post as it's sponsors are merging it with another posting on another day.  I may rejoin the enjoyment of reading and writing poems there when I catch up on some other tasks of which I'm behind.  I still intend to post here "The Sunday Muse" and perhaps a few others midweeks.

    If I were, . . . 

If I were little kid again 
I'd have my monkey near 
Made from blue, white, and red stockings 
His red nose from the heel
I'd be hugging him close to my chest 
Or he'd be hugging me 
I'd drag him around--we hand in hand 
Close to me always be 


And I were a bit bigger kid 
I'd be playing cousins 
Cousin things playing on Grandma's floor 
Cars and trucks we would drive  
He would always have more toys than I 
Taxi cabs he'd have two 
So Grandpa'd make him give me one 
Mine to keep take it home 

If I were a big kid again 
A bicycle alone 
Little sister would have her own 
The girls bike could be hers 
Sharing bicycles is the pits 
Thing boys needn't do 


Were I a teenage lad again 
Smoking I wouldn't do 
Cigarettes would stay in their place 
Uncle's glove compartment 
It's there they should have stayed 
Gave my sister one, she smoked two 
Made her sick, be no more  

Were I young again, drop out days 
My Ford would still be fast 
Back then my car was a "sleeper" 
It looked stock but watch out 
The fifty-two Ford would out run 
any Chevy around 
Bored and stroked, ported and relieved, 
street cam, dust you at lights 


If I were younger mid forties 
I'd have my Beagle dog 
Be a therapy pair again 
She would still be the best 
Visit hospitals, senior homes, 
help children learn to read 

 - - - 
 
You wonder where your toys have gone 
Sleeping away some place 
In a drawer or a cardboard box 
High on a closet shelf 

My toy monkey is lost, I looked 
This morning writer's break 
The taxi died, not of old age 
Left outside crushed by car 
 
Sister had kept the bicycle 
Hung on a garage peg 
Cigarettes and pipes, chew and dip,
I too have quit, forties 

I sometimes wonder, "Ford still runs?" 
Saw her once on the street 
Still wanting to race at the light 
Jealous, others I've had 

Adi died, my sweet Beagle dog 
Carry her picture now 

That's the end of this yarn right now 
More to come, perhaps 

 - - - 


       This is another toy, 
       "Educated Monkey"  
       He helped me learn my math 
       He used his hands and his feet 

       One foot on Your Number 
       Other was directed 
       as the Multiplier 
       Hands would hold the Product 

 - - - 

 - Poem and Photos Copywrite, Jimmiehov 2021 and earlier, All Rights Reserved 
 - Chesterfield Cigarettes, 2018 http://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/2018/09/weekend-roundup-11-18b-for-letter-k.html "Screen Print" photo from a site that I have forgotten 
 - I am linked with Rommy at The Weekly Scribblings #93,  https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/2021/10/weekly-scribblings-93-kid-stuff.html 
 - Rommy is hosting the last Weekly Scribblings forever, and as our last Wednesday prompt, has asked us to “write about something we really enjoyed in childhood – a toy, a book, a place, a movie – anything that held a place in your heart back then.
 - I smoked from age 17 until our younger daughter was born.  I still like to drive fast cars, I've been up to 150 steady on the German Autobahn, here momentarily to 140 testing a car, and still have a pretty fast 1998 Mustang GT Convertible.  The educated monkey is one my son bought me on eBay when he thought that I had lost my original hand-me-down now well over 100 years old.  The Taxi Cab did get run over and was crushed after I had left it out all night being my dad's tractor. 
More of my toys posts (my toys and some others) are found by the Label below and on my other fairly active blog, https://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/search?q=Toys&m=1 

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 27, 2021 1:31:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

If I were a kid again, my parents would have bought me a chimpanzee. Alas, it never happened no matter how much I begged. I enjoyed reading your poem, Jim. PS, one of your female fan club.

 
At Wednesday, October 27, 2021 3:56:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, this was a delight to read, thank you!

(I started smoking at 16 and managed to finally stop on my 48th birthday – best birthday present I ever gave myself.)

We changed our projected merging at Poets and Storytellers United from Sundays to Fridays, because you didn't think you could add it to your Sunday writings, and we realised others in our community also play at The Sunday Muse and elsewhere at weekends. I do hope Fridays will work for you; would greatly miss your input if it were to stop.

 
At Wednesday, October 27, 2021 7:28:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I wonder how many things I would do differently (or more) if I were a kid again. I think I would climb more trees, go for longer swims... I would probably try in some more trouble than I did when I was a kid. I would have more stories to tell, lol!

P.S. Like Rosemary, I hope you join us on Fridays.

 
At Wednesday, October 27, 2021 11:29:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Okay, that educational monkey is just plain creepy! I like your "ifs." Smoking is one thing I never did. None of my friends did either, so that's probably why. My brother did, started at 15, and still does nearly 60 years later. Swore he'd stop... never could.

 
At Thursday, October 28, 2021 2:10:00 PM, Blogger Rommy said...

I think kid me might try to be a bit more daring at moments, but still be a giant nerd.

 
At Thursday, October 28, 2021 3:42:00 PM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Bravo Jim. Enjoyed the memories

Much💜love

 
At Saturday, October 30, 2021 8:10:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

I love the way you wrote this, Jim.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home