Tuesday, June 01, 2021

Weekly Scribblings -- The Man



Unusual 

I am an unusual man 
I was an unusual boy

Unusual mark I carry 
Wearing it high on my thigh 
Or on my forehead Matters not 
But wear it I must Dreaded mark
Passed on to me and family 
I've passed it to kids Boys and girls 
 
I am an unusual man 
Man who has unusual dreams

I dream of leprechauns and oranges 
My wife dreams of monkeys and bananas 
The children dream of gorillas growling 
and red lollipops made with lemon rhyme 
Gorillas monkeys leprechauns three 
Not uncommon They wear the dreaded mark  
 
I am an unusual man 
With unusual family 

We drink peppermint Gator* Aide 
and eat steak and raw potatoes 
Chocolates at day tea bags at night 
We sleep on cocklebur mattress 
Silk sheets' torn edges cover us 
Not uncommon These dreaded marks 

I am an unusual man 
Unusual habits and friends 

Smile at strangers and scowl at friends 
Jolly at morning Fight at night 
We shower cold with Oxen Dolls 
I chew my cud while milking cows 
and spit it out all the next day 
That dreaded mark goes not away 

I am an unusual man 
Uncanny that I cannot change 

 * Gator, slang for alligator 

- - - 

 - Poem and Photo Copyright, Jimmiehov 2021, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Magaly Guerrero in the Weekly Scribblings #72https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/2021/06/weekly-scribblings-72-unusual-uncommon.html   

 - Magaly's desire, write "poetry or prose which includes one (or all 3) of the following words: unusualuncommonuncanny. You are welcomed to choose your own topic, genre, form… But your contribution must include at least one of the words.
 - My little man?  He is a musical toy who will sing us a song if I give him some new batteries.  First solo exhibit of him alone on my blogs, before he was always sitting with him being beside his singing elephant friend. 
.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 01, 2021 11:46:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Fascinating! And now of course I am trying to figure out what that mark could be. (But I expect you are not allowed to say.)

 
At Wednesday, June 02, 2021 2:53:00 AM, Blogger Marja said...

What a great fun poem and how unusual you are.Haha Don't know what cocklebur means. I was also wondering about these marks

 
At Wednesday, June 02, 2021 6:38:00 AM, Blogger Old Egg said...

I am sure Jim we all have a secret (or less mentioned) habit that makes us who we are as it is far better to be unique than just an ordinary guy.

 
At Wednesday, June 02, 2021 10:48:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I really like the progression of the poem. And the ending, too. I'm glad the speaker can't change their uncanniness--uncanny is forever!

 
At Wednesday, June 02, 2021 11:17:00 AM, Blogger indybev said...

An uncommon man indeed! From birthmarks to leprechauns, from Gator Ade to raw potatoes, cocklebur mattress and torn silk sheets, and cold showers with Oxen Dolls (and I'll have to Google that!) you are the epitome of an unusual man, Jim!!

 
At Thursday, June 03, 2021 7:04:00 AM, Blogger Brother Ollie said...

I dig your exploration of unusual!

 
At Friday, June 04, 2021 4:17:00 AM, Blogger rudraprayaga said...

'Unusual' is vividly drawn here.Nice.

 
At Monday, June 07, 2021 6:48:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Excellent poem, Jim! The refrain works very well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home