Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Poem -- Old Times are Gone

          Photo furnished by Magaly Guerrero *

"Things were different back then"*


Sandals were for women 
Flip flops became for men 
Hats doffed for lunch and church 
Men opened doors for gals 

Naught to sixty in six 
only hot rods could do
Space from here heaven 
(place to go in comics) 

Ate the food on your plate 
No such thing microwave
but TV dinners in 
Eat, watch Howdy Douty

Astronauts, topless beach 
I lost my Internet 
recipe, S.O.B! 
Now are we; different then 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , Ms. Gladstone  
hashtag
 _ _ _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2020, All Rights Reserved 
 - I'm linked with Magaly Guerrero at Weekly Scribblings # 27 for Picture and Prompt (title), https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/2020/07/weekly-scribblings-27-things-were.html

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 08, 2020 3:45:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

I don’t miss the old dress codes, Jim, I like to choose what I wear, not have it prescribed. But I do like good manners, which are quite rare these days. My parents made us eat the food on our plates – and I was often sick from sitting at the tale trying to chew on cold gristle, especially as I don’t like meat.

 
At Wednesday, July 08, 2020 7:14:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Ah yes, I recall all that (except Howdy Douty, who obviously never crossed the Pacific; also don't know who Ms Gladstone is). I much prefer life as it is today, though I think the sort of good manners that are based on kindness and consideration (rather than courtly formalities redolent of inequality) are sadly lacking now. I don't think kids are brought up properly any more ... and I suppose that makes me an old fuddy-duddy! LOL.

 
At Wednesday, July 08, 2020 8:44:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I agree with so much of what Kim said. I, too, enjoy the freedom to wear whatever we want (most of the time). And goodness gracious, the habit of forcing children to eat everything on their plate might've been one of the things that turned my stomach into my body's own enemy.

 
At Wednesday, July 08, 2020 9:42:00 AM, Blogger indybev said...

I still think hats should be doffed for lunch and church! It's my pet peeve when young men come to my table wearing their ever-present baseball hats!!! Enjoyed your outlook, Jim.

 
At Wednesday, July 08, 2020 1:16:00 PM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Enjoyed and i did laugh out loud in parts

Happy Wednesday

Much😊love

 
At Thursday, July 09, 2020 1:51:00 AM, Blogger Old Egg said...

I well remember the days when it was essential to conform or else you stood out as some sort of oddball! As for food with WW2 on and shortly after you ate what was available and never complained.

 
At Thursday, July 09, 2020 4:10:00 PM, Blogger Rommy said...

I like some retro clothes, but I really do appreciate the freedom not to have to wear them all the time.

 
At Thursday, July 09, 2020 7:34:00 PM, Blogger Vivian Zems said...

This brings back memories...like our first microwave that everyone thought was a TV! And the change in fashion...well, best to leave that, eh? (lol!))

 
At Saturday, July 11, 2020 6:57:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Bring back those hats that need doffing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home