Saturday, January 26, 2019

A Sunday Mini-challenge Writing

Ringing Bells 

I'm with somberest of handbells 
Making music with bemoaners  
They rule forlorn country music

We sooth wives' lovesick vocal cords
Their man comes back the women croon
Wail diatonic scales.  Sickly

Sarrcastic somber percussions
we are, let you fill in the blanks
 _ _ _ _

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2019, All Rights
Reserved
 - I am linked with  Kim Russell in the Imaginary Garden at http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2019/01/weekend-mini-challenge-sarcastic.html?m=1
 - Since this is a Mini-challenge we generally write short pieces, this one is eight lines and has 42 words plus two for the title.
 - Kim's directions, "Choose an instrument, give it a characteristic adjective or a personality, and write a poem about it, in any form of your choice. It doesn’t have to be about the instrument or music. But it must include a phrase like ‘sarcastic percussion’. You can take it wherever you want."

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At Sunday, January 27, 2019 1:46:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

The phrase that jumped out for me was the ‘somberest of handbells’, Jim. You don’t hear handbells much these days and it’s quite a complicated art form. I didn’t know ‘They rule forlorn country music’, I just linked them to Christmas songs and nursery rhymes.

 
At Sunday, January 27, 2019 6:20:00 AM, Blogger Vivian Zems said...

I like the idea of your handbells giving lovesick vocal cords a rest. I can't remember the last time I saw heard handbells. A good reminder to go in search of Dr Google.

 
At Sunday, January 27, 2019 7:52:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Hey guys, I tried to go wild, I doubt country music has hardly ever known handbells. At the start I had personification with symbolism in mind but I bombed. So this
Had you guys not shown up this morning I was going to take it down. Thank you for 'rescuing' those guys.
..

 
At Sunday, January 27, 2019 9:13:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

A wild concert here... but I do like it :-)

 
At Sunday, January 27, 2019 5:01:00 PM, Blogger Linda Lee Lyberg said...

I like it too- I used to play handbells in church but that was a long, long time ago....

 
At Monday, January 28, 2019 7:24:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Love that first stanza, Jim!

 
At Tuesday, January 29, 2019 10:51:00 AM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I like "the somberest of handbells", too, Jim.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home